Algae is a pool owner’s mortal enemy. Nearly every pool owner will encounter algae problems at some point or another. Thankfully, there are several steps you can follow to prevent and eliminate algae growth in your swimming pool. Check out these tips for keeping your pool algae-free all year long:
- Clean Your Water Filter: Routinely monitor and clean your pool skimmer and pump strainer baskets. This will ensure that the water and sanitizing chemicals flow evenly throughout your pool and keep debris out of the pool filter.
- Use the Right Cleaning Brush: Brushing your pool walls is necessary maintenance to loosen up dirt and prevent algae, but not every brush is suitable for every pool surface. Soft, nylon brushes are best.
- Keep Your Pool Sanitized: Automatic feeders and floating chlorinators help prevent the chlorine level from dropping below the effective range. Doing so is especially useful during long gaps in between maintenance. If your pool is sanitized with chlorine and doesn’t contain too much cyanic acid, keep the free chlorine level between 2.0-4.0 parts per million (ppm).
- Proper Circulation: Stagnant water is a breeding ground for algae. Proper pool circulation will help filter out any debris for easier cleanup. Run your pump and filter after using a brush on any debris from the pool surfaces. Use a leaf skimmer to retrieve any debris floating around your pool. Keep in mind that the water may not circulate to its potential if the water level is too low for the wall skimmer. This can lead to low suction and allow air into the pool filter (instead of water).
- Test Your Pool Water: The best way to maintain an algae-free pool in south Florida is by testing your pool water weekly. You can use a home kit or bring a water sample in for a free analysis.
Maintaining an Algae-Free Swimming Pool in Florida with Horizon Pool and Patio
By following these easy steps, you’ll be able to enjoy a clean and beautiful swimming pool, stress-free! If you’re in search of quality residential and commercial pool equipment and maintenance services in Palm Beach County, contact the pool care experts at Horizon Pool and Patio today at (561) 790-0665. We look forward to helping you keep your pool algae-free!